Historic Saint Louis is an association of historic sites, museums, and houses that are open to the public, each of which strives to preserve the past by inspiring this generation to discover their heritage. Most of these sites include buildings that have been restored, and in many cases, they are furnished with original artifacts to create authentic representations of everyday life in various periods. These sites are the result of thriving settlements built by those working in the fur trade, farming, commerce, mining, industry, steamboats, railroads, and more. In general, the member sites offer guided tours, and certain venues do include museum spaces with interpretive exhibits that guests can explore at their own pace. We recommend contacting sites or visiting their website when planning your visit to ensure they are open.
Built 1853-54, Italianate Country House
The Oakland House was built as the country estate for Louis A. Benoist, a prominent banker in St. Louis. The house was designed by architect George I. Barnett, who was one of the most influential architects in 19th century St. Louis.7801 Genesta Ave, St. Louis, Mo 63123 | 314-352-5654| oaklandhousemuseum.org
Bellefontaine Cemetery became the major public cemetery in St. Louis following the 1849 Cholera epidemic. Many of the most famous St. Louisans are buried here.
4947 W. Florissant, St. Louis, MO 63115 | 314-381-0750 | bellefontainecemetery.org
Admission: Free | Days Open: Year round Mon.-Fri.
Built 1820, Federal style
This house was built for Colonel Benjamin Stephenson in Edwardsville, Illinois. Stephenson was a founding father of Edwardsville and the state of Illinois.
409 S. Buchanan, Edwardsville, IL 62025 | 618-692-1818 | stephensonhouse.org
Admission: $3-$6 | Days Open: Jan.-Feb.: Sat./Sun. Mar.-Dec.: Thurs.-Sun.
Built 1851, Greek Revival style
The Campbell House Museum is the first and only surviving house from the wealthy neighborhood of Lucas Place, the first private street in St. Louis. From 1854-1938, the house was owned by the family of Robert Campbell, who were among the wealthiest people in St. Louis at the time.
1508 Locust Street, St. Louis, MO 63103 | 314-421-0325 | campbellhousemuseum.org
Admission: $10 | Days Open: Jan.-Feb. Closed Mar.-Dec. Wed.-Sun.
Built 1873, Italianate style
The Des Peres School in Carondelet is one of the older school buildings left in St. Louis, and it is most well known for being the first kindergarten in the United States. Susan Blow started the kindergarten at this school after observing schools in Germany.
6303 Michigan Ave, St. Louis, MO 63111 | 314-481-6303 | carondelethistory.org
Admission: Free | Days Open: Year round Wed.-Sun.
The Centre for French Colonial Life Museum Campus
Built 1789 - 1818, French Creole Style
The Centre for French Colonial Life museum campus, owned and operated by French Colonial America, consists of four late-18th and early 19th century historic structures as well as a modern exhibit and education facility. The campus tells the story of early French settlement in the upper Mississippi valley, and the development of a unique French Creole culture in this region.
198 Market St, Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670 | 573-883-3105 | frenchcoloniallife.org
Admission: $5-$10 | Days Open: Year-round Mon.-Sun.
Built 1848,1863, Greek Revival style
The Chatillon DeMenil Mansion was built as a farmhouse for Henri Chatillon, a guide on the Oregon Trail. In 1856, the house was sold to Nicholas N. DeMenil, a pharmacist, who had the house expanded into the Greek Revival style by architect Henry Pitcher in 1863.3352 DeMenil Place, St. Louis, MO 63118 | 314-771-5828 | demenil.org
Built 1845, Greek Revival style
This house was built for D. D. Collins, after whom the city of Collinsville was named. Collins served as the first president for the Board of Trustees in Collinsville.
703 W Main St, Collinsville, IL 62234 | 618-420-0288 | friendsoftheddcollinshouse.org
Admission: Free | Days Open: Year round Sat.
Built 1845, Federal Style
The Field House Museum was originally built in a row of 12 houses known as Walsh’s Row, and it was inhabited by Roswell Field, a lawyer for Dred Scott, in 1850. This was also the boyhood home of children’s poet, Eugene Field.634 S. Broadway, St. Louis, MO 63102 | 314-421-4689 | fieldhousemuseum.org
Built 1860, Mid 19th century vernacular style
This house was built by Franz Gittemeier, who moved into the Florissant area after making his fortunes during the California Gold Rush. The home is now under the care of Historic Florissant, Inc.1067 Dunn Road, Florissant, MO 63031 | 314-565-1468 | historicflorissant.com
Built 1806, French Colonial Style
This house in Ste. Genevieve was built for Jacques Guibourd in 1806, and remained as a private residence until the death of Anna Valle in 1971. It was then made into a memorial for her husband Jules, and it retains many pieces of the Valle family’s furniture.
1 N 4th St, Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670 | 573-883-9622 | historicstegen.org
Admission: Free | Days Open: Year round Mon.-Sun.
Built 1857, Greek Revival style
The Hawken House was built in Webster Groves by Christopher Hawken, who was the son of Jacob Hawken, the inventor of the famous Hawken rifle that was commonly used by settlers out West.1155 S. Rock Hill Rd., Webster Groves, MO 63119 | 314-968-1857 | historicwebster.org
Built 1800, Federal Style
The Daniel Boone House was built by Nathan Boone for the Boone family, who had moved to the Defiance, Missouri area. Daniel Boone spent the later years of his life at this home, after years of trailblazing and pioneering the then-western US territories.
Built 1855, Greek Revival style
The Hanley House was built for Martin Hanley, who was one of the major landowners in central St. Louis County during the mid 19th century. When the city of St. Louis split from St. Louis County in 1876, Hanley donated a large tract of land to be used for Clayton, the new county seat.7600 Westmoreland Ave., Clayton, MO 63105 | 314-290-8553 | claytonmo.gov
Built 1808, Federal Style
This house was built by Thomas Sappington in South St. Louis County, as one of the first brick houses in the area. This is one of the few structures left in the area that was built before Missouri gained statehood.1015 S. Sappington Rd., Crestwood, MO 63126 | 314-822-8171 | historicsappingtonhouse.org
Built 1859, Greek Revival style
Mudd’s Grove in Kirkwood is one of the largest Greek Revival style houses in St. Louis County, and it was built by Jacob Hoffman. It was owned by and named after Henry Mudd, a St. Louis County politician and realtor. Today it is home to the Kirkwood Historical Society.302 W. Argonne Drive., Kirkwood, MO 63122 | 314-965-5151 | kirkwoodhistoricalsociety.com
Myer’s House and Barn
Built 1877, Greek Revival style
The family of John B. Myers lived on a farm near Florissant, with this Greek Revival House as the centerpiece. Today it looks over highway 270 and is privately owned.
180 Dunn Road, Florissant, MO 63031 | 314-277-0204 | No Website
Admission: Donation | Days Open: By Appointment
The Old Courthouse -Gateway Arch National Park
Built 1819, Federal style
The St. Ferdinand Shrine is the oldest surviving church in Missouri, and it also contains one of the oldest Catholic schools in the state. The church was built during the time that Louis Dubourg served as the bishop in St. Louis, and had the intention of attracting Catholic missionaries to the territories.#1 Rue St. Francois St., Florissant MO 63031 | 314-837-2110 | oldstferdinandshrine.com
Built Circa 1850, Vernacular Log Cabin
The Overland Log House is a circa 1850 log cabin that is used by the Overland Historical Society. It was a settlers home from the period when Overland was a stopping point along the route connecting St. Louis and St. Charles.2404 Gass Ave., Overland, MO 63114 | 314-426-7027 | overlandhistoricalsociety.org
Built 1873, Vernacular style
This farmhouse is the oldest surviving structure in University City, and it was used as a farmhouse by the Sutter family, before being sold to Roman Meyer in 1875.6826 Chamberlain Ct., University City, MO 63130 | N/A | suttermeyer.org
Built circa 1790 with later additions, Creole frame/Greek Revival style
Taille de Noyer was originally built as a French trappers lodge in Florissant around 1790, but it was later purchased by the Mullanphy family, the first Millionaires in St. Louis. During their time in the early 19th century, the home was expanded to its current size.1896 S. New Florissant Rd., Florissant, MO 63031 | 314-409-9478 | florissantvalleyhs.com
Built 1880-1884, Italianate style
The Tappmeyer house was the farmhouse for a 33 acre farm in Creve Coeur. It was owned by the Tappmeyer for about a century before being sold.2 Barnes West Drive, Creve Coeur, MO 63141 | 314-795-9322 | creve-coeur.org/224/Tappmeyer-House
Built 1819, Federal style
The Thornhill mansion in Faust Park was built as a farmhouse for Frederick Bates, who served as the first governor of Missouri.
15185 Olive Blvd., Chesterfield, MO 63017 | 314-615-8328 | stlouisco.com
Admission: $2-$4 | Days Open: Please Call
Built 1812, Greek Revival style
Whitehaven was originally built for the Dent family in south St. Louis County. When General Ulysses S. Grant married into the family, he became owner of the house.7400 Grant Road, St. Louis, MO 63123 | 314-842-1867 | nps.gov/ulsg/index.htm
Built 1920s, Craftsman style
The Willoughby Heritage Farm is an operating historic farm which has a number of features showing what Farm life was like in the early 20th century, and it also includes 30 acres of wilderness on the property.
631 Willoughby Ln., Collinsville, IL 62234 | 618-977-0941 | collinsvilleil.org
Admission: $3 | Days Open: Year round Mon.-Sun.